Nothing says Christmas like candy canes! And what better way to enjoy them than in a candy cane mimosa? This festive twist on the classic drink is sure to get you into the holiday spirit.
Even though I’m not a huge fan of candy canes on their own, I just love how they taste in this drink! The candy cane flavor is not too overwhelming, and it’s just the right amount of sweetness. Plus, the candy canes make for a really pretty garnish.
If you’re looking for a fun and festive holiday drink, then look no further than the candy cane mimosa!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED FOR THE CANDY CANE MIMOSA
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips – will be used in the garnish. the white chocolate version will lend a subtle chocolate flavor and is a perfect compliment to the candy cane!
- 2 mini candy canes – we love the mini version b/c it fits perfectly in a champagne flute, but you can use regular candy canes too.
- .5 oz peppermint schnapps – this is what will give the “candy cane” flavor, so it’s a must.
- 2 oz cranberry juice – mainly for color, but also gives a nice hint of flavor.
- 2 oz champagne or prosecco – our favorite part! can’t make a mimosa with out it.
This candy cane mimosa recipe it so easy! And really fun to make also! To get started, follow these 5 steps:
1. First, you’ll want to rim the glasses with white chocolate and crushed candy canes. To do this, simply melt the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl or in a saucepan set over low heat. Once melted, dip the rims of the glasses into the white chocolate. Then, quickly dip the chocolate-coated rim into a bowl of crushed candy canes. Set the glasses aside to let the chocolate harden.
2. Next, add the cranberry juice, peppermint schnapps, and champagne to a shaker filled with ice. Shake well to combine.
3. Finally, strain the mixture into the prepared glasses
4. Add a mini candy cane as a garnish
SUBSTITUTIONS YOU COULD USE
– If you don’t have champagne or prosecco, you could use sparkling wine
– If you don’t have peppermint schnapps, you could use peppermint vodka
– If you don’t have cranberry juice, you could use raspberry juice or pomegranate juice
– If you don’t have candy canes, you could garnish the glasses with candy cane sprinkles or peppermint candy pieces. You could also rim the glasses with chocolate sprinkles.
APPETIZERS TO SERVE WITH THE CANDY CANE MIMOSA
If you’re making Candy Cane Mimosas, we’d venture to say you’re having an awesome holiday party! Here are some appetizer ideas to serve alongside this festive drink.
- Baked Brie with Cranberry Sauce: This easy and elegant appetizer is always a crowd-pleaser. Serve it with some sliced baguette or crackers for dipping.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries: These are always a treat, and they’re even more special when they’re candy cane-flavored!
- Stuffed Mushrooms: These mushrooms are loaded with flavorful ingredients like garlic, Parmesan cheese, and bread crumbs. They make for a delicious appetizer that’s sure to please a crowd.
- Candy Cane Cupcakes: If you really want to get into the candy cane spirit, bake up a batch of these fun cupcakes! They’re made with candy cane-flavored frosting and a candy cane on top. So festive and delicious!
OUR FAVORITE CHAMPAGNE FOR MIMOSAS
There are so many great champagnes and proseccos out there, it can be hard to choose just one! For candy cane mimosas, we recommend going with a brut or extra brut champagne. These varieties are less sweet, so they won’t overwhelm the flavor of the drink.
Some of our favorite champagnes for mimosas are Veuve Clicquot Brut, Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial, and Ruinart Blanc de Blancs.
For prosecco, we recommend La Marca Prosecco or Zonin Prosecco.
No matter which champagne you choose, we know you’ll love your candy cane mimosa!
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT MIMOSAS
What is the best alcohol for mimosas?
There are many different types of alcohol you could use for mimosas, but the most common is champagne. You could also use prosecco, sparkling wine, or even cider. It’s really up to you!
Why is it called a mimosa?
The drink is called a mimosa because it’s traditionally made with orange juice, and the color of orange juice is similar to that of a yellow rose, which is also called a mimosa.
How much alcohol is in a candy cane mimosa?
This mimosa is made with 2 ounces of champagne and 1/2 an ounce of peppermint schnapps which equates to about 2% alcohol by volume.
Can I make candy cane mimosas ahead of time?
Yes, you can definitely make candy cane mimosas ahead of time! Simply prepare the drink up to the point of adding the champagne. Cover and refrigerate the mixture until you’re ready to serve. Then, just add the champagne and enjoy!