There’s nothing quite like the taste of coconut and lime together. They’re both so refreshing, and when combined in a margarita, they create a drink that’s truly exotic and delicious. Just one sip transports us to a tropical island paradise – it’s absolute perfection! If you’re looking for an escape from your everyday routine, we think a coconut lime margarita is the perfect cocktail to do just that!
If you haven’t figured it out by now, we’re coconut and lime margarita obsessed. To us, this flavor combination is the epitome of summertime refreshment. The best part about making your own coconut lime margaritas at home is that you can control the sweetness level to perfectly suit your taste buds. And trust us, once you’ve had a sip of this refreshing cocktail, you’re going to want to make it again and again!
INGREDIENTS IN A COCONUT LIME MARGARITA
Alright, it’s time to get ready to make the coconut lime margarita.
You’ll likely already have most of these ingredients on hand, except for maybe the coconuts flakes. But they are a must in our opinion for the rim, so go out and grab them. They are readily available at most grocery stores.
You’ll also notice that we prefer lighter options around here — so we used Light Coconut Milk instead of cream. In our opinion you still get all the coconut flavor without the heaviness of a cream. But, if you would rather have coconut cream, feel free to swap it out.
Let’s get the following ingredients together:
Tequila: Choose your favorite tequila here!
Fresh Lime Juice: You’ll want to have some limes on hand so you can have freshly squeezed lime juice in each margarita.
Light Coconut Milk: Coconut milk will bring the sweetness, so we’ve left out adding any additional agave. We prefer the light version so this drink stays light.
Garnish: Coconut Sugar & Lime Wedge
– 1.5 ounces tequila
– 1 ounces fresh lime juice
– 2 ounce light coconut milk
– Lime wedge for garnish
– Coconut sugar for garnish
HOW TO MAKE A COCONUT LIME MARGARITA
Now that you have all of your ingredients, it’s time to put them all together and make your coconut lime margarita! Here’s what you need to do:
1) First, let’s start out by rimming the glass with the coconut sugar . To do this, take a lime wedge and run it around the edge of your glass. Then, dip the glass into a plate of coconut flakes so that the coconut sticks to the lime juice.
2) Add the tequila, lime juice, and coconut milk into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake it all up until it’s well combined and chilled. About 30 seconds to perfection.
3) Pour the margarita into your prepared glass with ice and garnish with a lime wedge.
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT COCONUT LIME MARGARITA
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect coconut lime margarita every time:
– Use fresh lime juice for the best flavor. If you don’t have fresh limes on hand, you can use bottled lime juice, but it won’t be quite as good.
– To make your own simple syrup, combine equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then remove from the heat and let cool.
– If you want your margarita to be extra coconut-y, you can rim the glass with coconut flakes before adding the drink.
– Don’t have coconut milk? You can substitute it with coconut cream or malibu rum. Just keep in mind that this will make the margarita richer and sweeter / or stronger.
– If you like your margaritas on the sweeter side, add a little extra simple syrup. If you prefer them to be tart, adjust the lime.
– Don’t have a cocktail shaker? No problem! You can make this margarita in a blender instead. Just combine all of the ingredients (except for the garnishes) in the blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and garnish as desired.
VARIATIONS ON THE COCONUT LIME MARGARITA
There are so many ways to change up this coconut lime margarita recipe to suit your taste. Here are a few of our favorite variations:
Pineapple Juice: Add pineapple juice to the coconut lime margarita for a delicious twist.
Coconut Rum: Use coconut rum instead of tequila for a coconut rum margarita.
Sparkling Water: Add a splash of sparkling water to the margarita for a little fizz.
Cucumber: Add a few slices of cucumber to the cocktail shaker for a refreshing twist.
Mango: Use mango juice in place of coconut water for a delicious mango margarita.
HOW TO SERVE A COCONUT LIME MARGARITA
There are a few different ways you can serve your coconut lime margarita. Here are a few of our favorites:
On the rocks: Simply pour the margarita over ice in a glass and garnish as desired.
Frozen: Blend all of the ingredients together in a blender until smooth. Pour into a glass and garnish as desired.
Up: Pour the margarita into a glass without ice. Garnish as desired.
No matter how you choose to serve it, we hope you enjoy your coconut lime margarita!
MAKING AHEAD OF TIME
Having a big party and want to make this ahead of time? No problem! You can make a big batch of the coconut lime margarita recipe and keep it in the fridge. Just be sure to give it a good stir before serving.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS MARGARITA?
If you’re looking for something to serve with your coconut lime margarita, we’ve got you covered! Here are a few of our favorite ideas:
Chips and guacamole: You won’t find us having a margarita without chips and guac or salsa. It’s the perfect combo.
Chicken tacos: Have a little more time to prepare an app? Then we say go for chicken tacos! They compliment the margarita well, and are easy to make and quite filling.
Coconut shrimp: Nothing says tropical more than the combo of coconut shrimp + a coconut lime margarita!
Fried plantains: Delicious, easy to make and goes along with our tropical vibe!
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT COCONUT LIME MARGARITAS
What alcohol is in a coconut lime margarita?
A coconut lime margarita is typically made with tequila, although you could also use rum. If you’re going to switch to rum, a coconut flavored rum would be perfect.
Can I make this coconut lime margarita recipe without alcohol?
Yes! Just omit the tequila (or rum) from the recipe and you’ll have a delicious virgin margarita.
Can I use coconut water instead?
You could, but we don’t recommend it…..we tried it this way and the flavor was faint….you really need to use a coconut milk for this so youn taste the coconut flavor profile.
We hope you enjoy this coconut lime margarita recipe! Whether you choose to make it on the rocks, frozen or up, we think you’ll love the tropical flavor. Be sure to garnish with your favorite toppings and serve with chips and guacamole or another delicious app. Cheers!