Trying to figure out the answer to how much does it cost to furnish a bedroom? We’ve got you covered. Furnishing a bedroom is an exciting process, as it allows you to create a space that reflects your personal style and provides a comfortable retreat.
However, it can also be a daunting task, especially when it comes to budgeting. Many factors come into play, such as the size of your room, your design preferences, and the quality of furniture you desire.
In this complete guide, we will explore how to furnish a bedroom while keeping costs in mind. We will discuss essential elements, pricing breakdowns, cost-saving tips, and much more to help you create your dream bedroom without breaking the bank.
How much does it cost to furnish a bedroom?
The average cost to furnish a bedroom can vary depending on various factors. The size of the room, the quality and brand of furniture you choose, and your design preferences all play a role in determining the overall cost. Based on our estimate below, you can expect to spend anywhere from $1,500 to $7,000 or more to fully furnish a bedroom. However, it’s important to note that this is just a rough estimate and the actual cost may be higher or lower based on your individual needs and choices.
To get a better idea of how much it might cost you to furnish your bedroom, let’s break down the items and their estimated costs:
Essential Items to Furnish a Bedroom
When it comes to furnishing a bedroom, there are a few essential elements that should not be overlooked. These elements include a bed, dresser, nightstand, desk, wardrobe, lamp, bookcases, curtains/blinds, rug, wall décor, bed coverings, and pillows. Let’s delve into each of these elements to better understand their importance and costs.
A Bed + Mattress
One of the most important pieces of furniture in a bedroom is the bed. Investing in a good quality bed is essential for a good night’s sleep. Consider the size of your room and your personal preferences when choosing a bed frame.
Opt for a comfortable mattress that suits your sleeping style, whether it’s foam, spring, or a hybrid mattress. Don’t forget to budget for bedding, including pillows, sheets, and a duvet or comforter.
A larger bed may cost more, but it provides extra space and comfort for a better night’s sleep. The cost of a bed can range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars, depending on the size, material, and additional features.
A dresser is a great way to organize your clothes and accessories in your bedroom. Consider the size of your room and the amount of storage space you need when choosing a dresser.
Look for a dresser that matches your bedroom decor, whether it’s a classic design or a modern style.
The cost of a dresser can vary, but it typically ranges from a few hundred to a thousand dollars, depending on the size, material, and design.
A nightstand is a functional and stylish addition to your bedroom. It provides a convenient surface to place your phone, book, or a glass of water. When choosing a nightstand, look for one that complements your bed frame and bedroom decor.
Consider the size of your room to ensure it fits comfortably without overcrowding the space. Don’t forget to budget for a lamp, alarm clock, and other accessories to decorate your nightstand.
Online marketplaces or furniture stores offer a variety of nightstand options to fit different price points. The cost of a nightstand can range from around $50 to a few hundred dollars, depending on the size, material, and design. And you will likely need two.
Adding a desk to your bedroom can create a dedicated workspace for studying, working, or pursuing your hobbies. Consider the size of your room and your work needs when choosing a desk.
Look for a desk that offers storage options, such as drawers or shelves, to keep your workspace organized. Don’t forget to budget for a comfortable chair and good lighting to create a functional workspace.
Consider custom pieces, online marketplaces, or furniture stores to find a desk that fits your budget. The cost of a desk can vary depending on the size, material, design, and additional features, ranging from around $100 to a few hundred dollars.
A wardrobe provides additional storage space for your clothes, shoes, and accessories. Consider the size of your room and your storage needs when choosing a wardrobe.
Look for a wardrobe that matches your bedroom decor and offers a combination of hanging space, shelves, and drawers to accommodate your belongings.
Don’t forget to budget for delivery costs if purchasing a wardrobe online. The cost of a wardrobe can vary depending on the size, material, design, and functionality, ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.
A lamp is a practical and stylish addition to your bedroom decor. It provides much-needed lighting for reading, working, or creating a cozy ambiance. Choose a lamp that provides the right amount of light for your needs, whether it’s a bedside table lamp or a floor lamp.
Consider the design of your bedroom and your personal style when choosing a lamp. Look for lamps that offer adjustable settings, such as dimming, to create a cozy atmosphere. Don’t forget to budget for extra light bulbs to ensure your lamp stays illuminated.
The cost of a lamp can range from around $20 to a few hundred dollars, depending on the size, design, and functionality.
Adding a bookcase to your bedroom can provide extra storage and a decorative touch. The cost of a bookcase can vary depending on the size, material, design, and functionality, ranging from around $100 to a few hundred dollars and of course, you may want to add in a few decorative books as well.
Curtains or blinds can add privacy, light control, and style to your bedroom. Consider the size of your windows and your desired level of privacy when choosing window coverings. Look for curtains or blinds that match your bedroom decor, whether it’s a bold color or a subtle pattern.
Don’t forget to budget for extra accessories, such as rods or tiebacks, to complete your window treatments. The cost of curtains or blinds can vary depending on the size, material, design, and functionality, ranging from around $50 to a few hundred dollars.
A rug can add warmth, comfort, and a touch of style to your bedroom. Consider the size of your room and your desired rug placement when choosing a rug size. Don’t forget to budget for rug pads to prevent slipping and to extend the longevity of your rug.
The cost of a rug can vary depending on the size, material, design, and quality, ranging from around $50 to a few hundred dollars.
The wall decor you choose can greatly impact the overall look and feel of your bedroom. Decide on a theme or style for your bedroom before choosing wall decor. Consider using art prints, canvases, or wall decals to add visual interest to your walls.
Use mirrors strategically to create the illusion of a larger space and to reflect light. Incorporate shelves or floating ledges to display decorative items or books. The cost of wall decor can vary depending on the type, size, design, and quality, ranging from a few dollars to a few hundred dollars.
Bedding and Pillows
Bed coverings and pillows are important elements to consider when furnishing your bedroom. Bed coverings, such as sheets, duvets, and comforters, come in a variety of materials, styles, and price ranges.
Pillow preferences can vary, so determine the number and type of pillows needed for sleeping and decorative purposes. Invest in a good quality mattress protector to prolong the life of your mattress.
The cost of bed coverings and pillows can vary depending on the material, design, quality, and size, ranging from about $100 to $300
Wallpaper or Paint
Choosing between wallpaper and paint is a personal preference when it comes to furnishing your bedroom. Wallpaper can add texture, pattern, and depth to your walls, while paint offers a clean and sleek appearance. Consider the style and theme of your bedroom when making this decision.
The average price of each square foot of wallpaper installation is around $2 to $4, depending on the complexity of the design and type of wallpaper. Keep in mind that some wallpapers may also require additional expenses for adhesive and professional installation.
On the other hand, painting your bedroom walls typically costs an average of $1 to $3 per square foot, which includes the cost of paint, primer, and labor. Factors such as wall preparation and the number of coats needed can affect the total cost.
How to Calculate the Cost of Furnishing a Bedroom?
Furnishing a bedroom requires careful budgeting to ensure you stay within your financial means. To calculate the cost of furnishing a bedroom, it’s important to break down the pricing of each element and consider additional costs that may arise. Let’s explore how to calculate the cost of furnishing a bedroom step by step.
Pricing Breakdown of Each Element
To calculate the cost of furnishing a bedroom, it’s important to break down the pricing of each element. Based on the essential elements we discussed earlier, here is a table of estimated pricing for each item, including the total cost:
- Bed: $500 – $3000
- Dresser: $200 – $1000
- Nightstand: $50 – $300
- Desk: $100 – $500
- Wardrobe: $500 – $2000
- Lamp: $20 – $200
- Bookcases: $100 – $500
- Curtains/Blinds: $50 – $300
- Rug: $50 – $300
- Wall Décor: $10 – $200
- Bed Coverings and Pillows: $100 – $300
- Total cost range: $1580 – $7900
Please note that these price ranges are estimates and can vary based on factors such as size, design, quality, brand, and your location.
The Impact of Personal Style on Furnishing Costs
Your personal style plays a significant role in furnishing costs, as it determines the type of furniture, decor, and accessories you choose. Let’s explore how personal style can affect furnishing costs and how to find a balance between your style preferences and your budget.
Cost Differences between Various Styles
Different interior design styles can have varying costs due to factors such as design complexity, material quality, and market demand. Here are a few popular interior design styles and their general cost differences to consider:
- Modern Style: Modern furniture design tends to be more expensive, as it often features sleek, minimalist designs and uses high-quality materials. This style offers a clean, contemporary look that appeals to many homeowners, but it may come with a higher price point.
- Traditional Style: Traditional furniture design can be less expensive, as it often features classic furniture pieces that are widely available. This style emphasizes comfort, elegance, and a timeless appeal, making it a great option for budget-conscious homeowners.
- Rustic Style: Rustic furniture design can be more affordable, as it often incorporates natural, reclaimed materials and a less refined aesthetic. This style brings a cozy, earthy feel to a bedroom, making it a budget-friendly option for those who appreciate a touch of rustic charm.
- DIY Style: If you’re willing to put in the time and effort, furnishing your bedroom with DIY pieces can be the most cost-effective option. DIY furniture allows you to repurpose existing pieces, make your own custom furniture, or find budget-friendly alternatives. This style offers a unique, personal touch to your bedroom decor while saving money in the process.
Finding Balance between Style and Budget
Finding a balance between your personal style and your budget is crucial when furnishing a bedroom. Here are a few tips to help you achieve a stylish bedroom design within your budget:
- Set a budget: Determine how much you can afford to spend on bedroom furnishings. Consider your overall financial situation, your income, and your other financial priorities.
- Prioritize essential items: Invest in the most important pieces first, such as a comfortable mattress and a sturdy bed frame. These items will have a direct impact on your quality of sleep and overall bedroom functionality.
- Look for deals: Shop during sales, online marketplaces, and furniture retailers to take advantage of discounts and promotions. Keep an eye out for seasonal sales, clearance events, and bundle deals to save money on your bedroom furniture.
- Consider secondhand options: Check out thrift stores, consignment shops, online marketplaces, and yard sales to find unique, budget-friendly furniture pieces. You can often find quality pieces at a fraction of the cost of new furniture.
- Don’t sacrifice style: While budget is important, it’s also important to create a bedroom that reflects your personal style and makes you feel comfortable. Look for ways to infuse your personal style into your bedroom decor, whether it’s through color choices, accessories, or furniture design.
By finding a balance between your personal style and your budget, you can create a bedroom that reflects your personality and provides a comfortable, stylish retreat.
How Does the Size of the Bedroom Influence the Total Cost?
The size of your bedroom plays a significant role in determining the total cost of furnishing. Whether you have a smaller guest room, a cozy master bedroom, or a spacious living area, your budget will be influenced by the size of your room. Let’s explore how the size of your bedroom influences the total cost of furnishing.
Furnishing Small vs Large Bedrooms
Furnishing a small bedroom requires a different approach than furnishing a larger bedroom. In a smaller room, it’s important to make the most of the available space while optimizing functionality. Here are a few tips to consider when furnishing a smaller bedroom:
- Choose multi-functional furniture pieces: Opt for furniture pieces that serve dual purposes, such as a bed frame with built-in storage or a nightstand with extra shelves or drawers.
- Maximize storage: Utilize vertical space with tall bookshelves, wall-mounted furniture, or under-bed storage solutions to save on floor space.
- Embrace a minimalist design: Consider a minimalist design to create a sense of openness in a small bedroom. Focus on essential furniture pieces, keep decor accessories to a minimum, and utilize natural light to enhance the room’s spaciousness.
- Opt for smaller furniture pieces: Choose furniture pieces with a smaller footprint to maximize space efficiency. Look for furniture pieces specifically designed for smaller living spaces, such as apartment-sized sofas or compact dining tables.
On the other hand, furnishing a larger bedroom allows for a more generous layout and furniture selection. In a larger room, you can opt for a larger bed, a larger wardrobe, and additional furniture pieces to fill the space comfortably. However, it’s important to strike a balance between functionality, design, and your budget to avoid unnecessary costs.
Space Optimization and Cost Efficiency
Regardless of your room size, it’s important to optimize your space to ensure cost efficiency and functionality. Here are a few tips to maximize your bedroom space efficiently:
- Choose furniture pieces that serve dual purposes: Opt for furniture pieces that offer extra storage, such as beds with built-in drawers or ottomans with hidden compartments. This way, you can minimize the need for additional storage furniture, saving both space and money.
- Utilize vertical space: Use tall bookshelves, wall-mounted furniture, or floor-to-ceiling wardrobes to make the most of your vertical space. This way, you can store your belongings without crowding your bedroom floor, creating a more spacious and visually appealing room.
- Opt for furniture pieces that can be easily disassembled and reassembled: When moving furniture pieces, it’s important to consider delivery costs. By choosing furniture pieces that can be easily disassembled and reassembled, you can save on delivery fees, especially if you plan to move your furniture frequently.
- Consider custom pieces: To make the most of your bedroom layout, consider custom furniture pieces that can be custom-fit to your room dimensions. This way, you can avoid wasted space and achieve a more cost-effective furnishing solution.
Is Investing in High-Quality Furniture Worth It?
Investing in high-quality furniture pieces can have long-term benefits, but it’s important to consider your budget and design preferences. Here are a few factors to consider when deciding whether to invest in high-quality furniture:
- Longevity: High-quality furniture tends to have better durability, which means it will last longer compared to lower quality alternatives. This can save you money in the long run, as you won’t need to replace your furniture as frequently.
- Design and functionality: High-quality furniture pieces often have better design and functionality, enhancing your bedroom decor and comfort. They offer better craftsmanship, attention to detail, and a more luxurious feel, elevating the overall design of your bedroom.
- Home value: Investing in high-quality furniture can increase your home’s overall value, making it a good long-term investment. If you plan to sell your home in the future, quality furniture can attract potential buyers and result in a higher resale price.
- Luxurious feel: High-quality furniture pieces are often made with better materials, providing a more luxurious and upscale feel to your bedroom. If you value quality, design, and a touch of luxury, it may be worth it to invest in high-quality furniture.
While high-quality furniture pieces often come with a higher price point, it’s important to carefully consider your budget, design preferences, and long-term goals to determine if it’s a worthwhile investment for your bedroom.
Tips to Furnish a Bedroom on a Budget
Furnishing a bedroom on a budget is possible with careful planning, cost-saving strategies, and a touch of creativity. Let’s explore a few tips to help you furnish your bedroom without overspending.
Embracing Minimalism to Reduce Costs
Embracing a minimalist approach to furnishing your bedroom can help reduce costs while creating a clean, visually appealing space. Here are a few tips to embrace minimalism on a budget:
- Declutter your bedroom: Before furnishing your bedroom, declutter your space to remove unnecessary items and create a more minimalist environment. Keep only the essentials, such as furniture pieces, decor accessories, and bedding, to minimize costs and create a clutter-free bedroom.
- Opt for a minimal color scheme: Choose a color scheme that reflects a minimalist aesthetic, such as neutral tones or a monochromatic palette. This way, you can create a cohesive design without the need for excessive decor accessories or furniture pieces.
- Choose furniture pieces with a clean, simple design: Opt for furniture pieces with a minimalist design, featuring clean lines, simple shapes, and a sleek finish. These pieces often cost less compared to more intricate, detailed furniture designs.
- Focus on quality over quantity: Instead of filling your bedroom with unnecessary furniture pieces, invest in a few essential pieces of good quality furniture. This way, you can achieve a minimalist aesthetic while ensuring your furniture lasts longer.
- Utilize natural light and open spaces: Maximize natural light in your bedroom to create a bright, airy feel. Use window treatments to control light and privacy while keeping a minimalist design. Also, keep your bedroom layout open to create a spacious, minimalist ambiance without overcrowding your room.
DIY Tips to Save Money While Furnishing
If you’re willing to put in a little extra effort, furnishing your bedroom with DIY pieces can be a cost-effective and personalized option. Here are a few DIY tips to save money while furnishing your bedroom:
- Refurbish old furniture pieces: Instead of buying new furniture, consider refurbishing or repainting your existing furniture pieces to give them a new life. This way, you can save money and put your own personal touch on your bedroom decor.
- Create your own custom furniture pieces: If you’re feeling adventurous, try your hand at creating your own custom furniture pieces using online tutorials, step-by-step guides, or a design of your own. This way, you can design pieces to perfectly fit your bedroom layout, budget, and design vision.
- Shop at thrift stores or online marketplaces: Thrift stores, consignment shops, and online marketplaces can be great places to find unique, budget-friendly furniture pieces. Look for quality pieces that can be repurposed to fit your bedroom design.
- Repurpose items: Get creative and repurpose items to add a touch of uniqueness to your bedroom decor. For example, a vintage suitcase can make a great nightstand, or a ladder can be repurposed as a bookshelf or a clothing rack. Not only does it save money, but it also adds a touch of personality to your bedroom design.
- Use budget-friendly materials: If you’re up for a DIY project, consider using budget-friendly materials, such as repurposed pallets, to create custom furniture pieces. With a little creativity, you can achieve a unique, cost-effective bedroom design.
By taking a DIY approach to furnishing your bedroom, you can save money, unleash your creativity, and create a bedroom design that truly reflects your personal style.
Creating a Realistic Furnishing Budget Plan
Creating a realistic furnishing budget plan for your bedroom is an important step in achieving your desired design. To start, determine your budget based on your needs, preferences, and room size. Research the average costs of furniture, decor, and accessories to estimate your budget accurately. Prioritize essential pieces first, ensuring that your bedroom remains functional within your budget constraints. Consider cost-saving options like online marketplaces, sales, or second-hand furniture to make the most of your budget. Additionally, allocate a portion of your budget for unexpected expenses or design changes that may arise during the process. By following these steps, you can create a budget plan that aligns with your goals and avoids overspending.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Budgeting
When budgeting for furnishing a bedroom, there are some common mistakes that you should avoid. One of the most overlooked aspects is underestimating delivery costs. These costs can significantly add up and impact your overall budget. It’s also important to avoid impulsive purchases. Instead, take the time to plan your furnishing budget to prevent overspending. Don’t overlook the importance of quality furniture either, as it tends to last longer and can save you money in the long run. Another mistake to avoid is overlooking design fees. Consider DIY options or online design tools to save on costs. Lastly, don’t forget about the smaller accessories. They can enhance your bedroom decor without breaking the budget.
How To Get Discounts Like Designers do?
Want to get designer-level discounts while furnishing your bedroom? Here are some tips: sign up for newsletters, follow furniture retailers and online marketplaces, shop during seasonal sales or end-of-year clearance, utilize designer trade programs, check out furniture outlets or online marketplaces for lower prices, and don’t be afraid to negotiate.
Also, some retailers like Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel offer pro accounts that usually give 20% off full-price items across the board if you are approved.
Can Furnishing a Bedroom Be Done More Economically?
Is it possible to furnish a bedroom more economically? Absolutely! By breaking down your budget and considering a mix of custom pieces, online marketplaces, and budget-friendly retailers, you can achieve a stylish bedroom without breaking the bank. Additionally, opting for versatile furniture and accent pieces can add style without high costs. Don’t forget to utilize existing furniture and decor to minimize new purchases.
When furnishing a bedroom on a budget, it’s important to approach the process strategically. By prioritizing quality, functionality, and longevity, you can ensure that your bedroom furniture lasts for years to come. Consider mixing high-end pieces with more budget-friendly options to create a well-balanced design.
Remember, furnishing a bedroom is not something to rush. Take your time to find the perfect pieces within your budget. Enjoy the journey of creating your dream bedroom and don’t feel pressured to furnish the entire room at once. Patience is key.
So, start by asking yourself important questions about the type of furniture you need and the layout of your space. With careful planning and research, you can achieve a beautiful and functional bedroom, even on a tight budget.
OTHER BEDROOM DECOR ARTICLES YOU MAY LIKE: